For Contest Sponsors, Publishers, Employers, Retreats, Grant Providers
To post your call for submission in a newsletter and on the website, realize that you must have a PAYING market, contest, job or grant. Send it to us and we’ll be glad to consider its inclusion in the newsletters. Remember it must be a PAYING opportunity and not a listing that pays in copies, gifts certificates, or goodies. Royalty and publishing contracts from well-established organizations are considered PAID compensation for book authors and playwrights only. Hope reserves the right to determine whether a listing fits the needs of FundsforWriters readers. Contests and markets must pay at least $200 flat rate or first prize or at least 10 cents/word.
Freelance Submission Process for FundsforWriters
Articles should fall between 500 and 600 words. Each FundsforWriters newsletter lists only one article – short and sweet and to the point. That leaves more space for awards, contests, grants and markets. So make each word count. MAKE YOUR WRITING TIGHT. Watch the passive voice. Give it a beginning, middle, and ending. A list of links is not an article.
IT MUST BE ABOUT EARNING A LIVING AS A WRITER.
NOTE: The newsletter is booked through August 2017. We never close the door to submissions, but we are very particular now, and just know that any pieces we purchase will appear in a 2017 edition of FundsforWriters.
If you are up to it, we’d like to hear about your success, thought and/or advice about some aspect of how you earned funds through writing. Make it applicable to others. We especially appreciate how-to be successful stories. Resources with links are much desired. Try to avoid writing an infomercial about one particular entity.
We do NOT want stories about…
- how to write
- how to develop plot, characters or settings
- topics that cannot relate in some manner to making more money as a writer
We DO want…
- ideas on breaking into a particular market (but try to avoid one vendor/publication)
- pointers on winning contests
- unique ways to develop an income with words
- success stories with ideas for others
- profitable business practices related to writing
- seasonal material affiliated with particular markets
- grant success stories
- nonprofit partnerships
- unique markets
- unusual writing income ideas
- anything to help a writer make a dollar penning words
- a dash of humor, if possible; a positive note and a happy ending
- List markets with links, and we’ll look even harder at your submission!
- Our readers like to walk away with tools to use.
- DO NOT USE WORDS IN ALL CAPS.
- Do not query in smartphone text-ese.
- Your bio/introduction is as important as your submission.
- We prefer writers who have an online presence.
- If your English is weak or grammar poor in the query, we will not consider your submission.
- Exceeding word count is the easiest way to get rejected.
- Do not tell us you are a writer and ask for ideas. Half the reason we hire a writer is for their originality.
Query or Manuscript:
We accept either one, but to save you time and trouble, you might want to query unless you are pretty sure about the topic after reading FundsforWriters for a while!
Via PayPal – $50 for unpublished original articles; $15 for reprints.
Via check – We no longer pay via check.
Please indicate which you are submitting. If a reprint, list where and when the piece was published. Payment made when article is accepted, usually within a week of submission. Please do not email and ask when we will get to your piece.
FFW purchases one time electronic rights and archival rights in the newsletters’ archives. After publication in the newsletter, you may resell your article after 30 days. FFW purchases articles for use often three to six months downstream, so pretty please do not ask when it will be published as the editor retains the right to move articles around due to unforeseen circumstances.
NEW NOTE: FundsforWriters is considering an annual compilation of The Best of FundsforWriters. We reserve the right to pay you more money for additional reprinting in this compilation. If your article is chosen, you will be compensated an additional $15. If you are chosen, you will be given a banner to place on your website/blog showing that you were included in the book.
When you submit the manuscript, include:
- word count
- a brief bio at the end to include your website/blog
- your PayPal address or other online method
- no checks or wires to foreign countries
- omitting any of the above can result in rejection.
We prefer all submission by email and WITHOUT attachments unless you are given the nod to send an attachment. Submit your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org